Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

I'm an executor and I think I've screwed up and disbursed

Customer Question

I'm an executor and I think I've screwed up and disbursed myself too much money by a lot. I just hired an attorney and accountant and in preparing to hand over the documents I realized this and now I'm super scared what the consequences could be. I disbursed money to all the beneficiaries in varying amounts but I didn't keep good enough track and it would take years for me to pay this back. This feels pretty serious and I'm about to have a heart attack fearing the worst... Like am I gonna go to jail?!?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about your situation. I do not think you will have criminal liability here if you had no criminal intent. However, you do have some civil liability in that you will need to repay the amounts. I would have your attorney negotiate some sort of settlement and payment plan that you can comply with. I think that will be the route the parties would want to pursue as it minimizes the legal expenditure of all parties.

Happy to answer any specific questions you have.

Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 9 months ago.

If you have any additional questions just let me know otherwise a positive rating would be greatly appreciated.