Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters

Me and my dad got a house together. He put the money down

Customer Question

Me and my dad got a house together. He put the money down and I paid for the inspection and have been splitting house payments the last 9 months. I didn't put my name on anything cause I have bad credit but we agreed that we both want the house or debt to go to me if anything ever happens to him. He's thinking about getting married so we want something irreversible
JA: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: KS. We have agreed to this since we started looking for a house last December but it's become more urgent since the idea of him getting married has come up
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I'm not sure what kind to look for and what kind of documents we need to be looking into
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: The money he used as a down payment started when my grandparents died, their house was sold, the money was split between my mom and uncle. Shortly after that she died so my dad got the money
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 2 months ago.

What state is the property located in please?