Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters

Florida question- asking for my aunt. Her only son died in

Customer Question

Florida question- asking for my aunt. Her only son died in May at the age of 54. He was a Florida resident, as is she. He owned a mobile home, truck, etc. My aunt has sold the mobile home, but cannot transfer the title because there is apparently a law that says she has to provide proof that she is the only living parent. Her son's father died a number of years ago in Virginia. He was divorced from my aunt. She has no way to obtain his death certificate, and there are no other living relatives to obtain the death certificate for the father. She is unsure what she is supposed to do to be able to sign this mobile home title over to the new owner.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

Has she contacted the VA Dept of Health to see about obtaining a death certificate?

Has she filed an application to get the title in her name by filing an affidavit that the estate doesn't owe anything and she is the sold heir?