Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Estate Law Expert

If I move from Ga to FL would my ex girlfriend have to file

Customer Question

If I move from Ga to FL would my ex girlfriend have to file any motions or contemps, etc in FL court if that is where I would be living? Would a move like this make much difference any anything? I was thinking maybe if I got a different judge things could go better for me verses the bias judge I now have on my case. Would moving to Fl change anything with my final order, custody, etc? Thank you.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to helping you today.

Are there children involved? If so, where would the children live?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
One child out if 2 month relationship and child lives in ga with the mother.

If the child continues to live in GA then GA would still have jurisdiction and venue over anything. If the child moves to a different county then you can request that the case be moved to that county in the future if anything happens.

However, the only way FL gets jurisdiction over the case is if the child moves to FL. Essentially, the child's residence controls almost everything.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.