Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

I have an inheritence coming form the uk When do I pay the

Customer Question

I have an inheritence coming form the uk When do I pay the tax I was told not until after I recieve it
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Who is telling you that you have to pay inheritance taxes on money from another country?

.

Do you actually have relatives in the UK?

.

How did you find out about this inheritance? Did an attorney send you a letter or call you or email you?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thier gov is telling me I have to pay and no I don't have any relatives there anymore I was contacted by email

Ok, this is a scam....period. We see these "foreign inheritance" scams dozens of times a week and it is always through an email contact and they always want some type of money or tax so the person can claim the inheritance. If someone inherits anything, they don't pay any taxes on it as they are withheld by the executor of the estate and forwarded to the govt prior to any distribution.

.

So I am sorry to say it, but there is no inheritance. The good news is you found out about the scam hopefully before you sent them any money or gave them any personal information..

.

.

thanks