Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Estate Law Expert
11068102

I am in California and am considering divorce but have

Customer Question

I am in California and am considering divorce but have questions. I inherited money when my Father passed and have it in an investment account only in my name. If I divorce will my husband be able to take 1/2?
If so, is there a way to move my investment where he cannot have access?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to helping you today.

No, since the money was inherited it is separate property and thus not subject to division by the court so long as it has been kept separate and not been co-mingled with community property funds.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.