Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.

If I leave my entire estate to one child, does the other

Customer Question

If I leave my entire estate to one child, does the other child have right to know its value?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

There is not a legal obligation to leave your children any part of your estate and you are free to leave the entire estate to any, all or none of your children.

There is no general legal right which wold entitle a disinherited child to be given information about the value of the estate.

Though, all they need to do is review the court file, which is a public record, and see the filed inventory of the estate to get an idea as to its value.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can I gift part of my estate prior to my death and of course exclude it from my last will? I know there may be different tax issues.
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Of course. You are free to give away your property to anyone you wish. Once it is gifted it will no longer be part of your estate and it is not covered in the will.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.