Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.
17897874

My wife died of cancer, she forgot to change her insurance

Customer Question

My wife died of cancer, she forgot to change her insurance beneficiary after we remarried
Five years ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you. My condolences for your loss.

Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Unfortunately, you options are limited. Unless the sister will voluntarily renounce the benefits from the policy, the insurance company really has no choice but to pay it out to the designated beneficiary. They have a fiduciary duty to carry out the payment of the policy to the beneficiary designated by the owner of the policy. I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.