Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters

My wife died recently. Her 1996 will named me as first

Customer Question

My wife died recently. Her 1996 will named me as first recipient and her adopted son, from prior marriage, as next if I died.
She had an annuity in her name only.
A few months prior to her death, she asked me to sign a document connected to her annuity. She blocked the page with her hand except the "dotted line" as I signed.
I found out last week that my signature removed me from her annuity, and added her son.
Can I have a lawyer block this distribution and re-instate me?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a CA licensed attorney for more than 3 decades.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a personal phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Did you ask her what you were signing?

2. Was the annuity earned during your marriage?

3. Has your wife's estate been submitted to probate yet?

4. Do you have any idea why she changed the beneficiary?

Thanks in advance,