Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Fully licensed attorney in Texas in private practice.

I live in illinois, my husband passed away last year and I

Customer Question

Hello I live in illinois, my husband passed away last year and I have notified a medical collection agency of this and they have arbitrarily have put his account in my name. We did not share any common property or banking accounts. He did not leave a will, estate or assigned anyone as executor of his estate.
What can I do to get them to stop harrassing me?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.
I am very sorry to hear about your loss and this situation. On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and this is one of these times.
While spouses are not automatically liable for the debt of a spouse that has passed away, under Illinois' Family Expense Act, the creditor can collect from the surviving spouse if the money was for a "family expense."
Medical bills are considered family expense, and thus, the collection agency has the right to pursue this from the surviving spouse.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.