How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 7235
Experience:  30+ yrs. handling probate estate, wills, trust, inheritance & real estate related matters
Type Your Estate Law Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How are you, I am having a lot of issues with property, My

Customer Question

Hi how are you
JA: I'm good. And you?
Customer: I am having a lot of issues with property
JA: What is your issue regarding?
Customer: My father owned a house but gaveot to me eldest brother years aago
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: I live in nj
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I live with my brother and dad as of now
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Estate Law
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My dad has a life time residency
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I know.a.few.things, first can my dad get my brother off the deed, because he does not want him on there because he is not doing the right things and when my dad dies, the house was suppose to get split evenly with my sister,two brothers, and self, not my brother says he is not doing that. Yhe major issue is my dad has it in writting that he can live at the house until he dies. And my dad wants me to live here with him but my brother is trying to kick me out against my dads wishes
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I would like to add my father has many health issues, I'm his care giver and have joint power of attorney physical and financial
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 9 months ago.

If your father has deed the property to your brother, even though he has retained what is called a "life estate", your father no longer controls what happens with the house. Your brother does. That is the law in New Jersey. I will be happy to offer you a telephone consultation to discuss this by phone later this morning. Otherwise, if this answer is sufficient, please click on a positive rating so that I will be credited for assisting you. Thanks for using JUST ANSWER.