Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
10285032

My mother had passed away and in how well everything went to

Customer Question

my mother had passed away and in how well everything went to Daddy but she put that she wanted me to get the house so he quick claim you did it to me and then behind my back he quickly did it back to himself because he says that he wants to reserve a life estate for the use and benefit of my dad for the remainder of his Natural Life what does that mean and why on the title still of the house because I saw the paperwork with my name on it that I still paperwork without my name on it and I never signed the document to the quit claim so that means what that means that it's not legally problem is that he's dating a 40 year old woman and I move during very uncomfortable I don't like it and I want her out but he wants to run so if I'm on the dean he can get out with her if not I'm in big trouble
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If your name is ***** ***** deed as owner and he added himself a life estate, that life estate gives him no ownership rights in the house, it just gives him a right to live in the house and a duty to pay all of the bills there and maintain it. He cannot put a loan on it or he cannot sell it or transfer it to anyone, that right is your right. If he did all of this without you signing once he put the quit claim deed into your name, then he has likely committed fraud or forgery if you want to pursue it, but if not, then the quit claim adding the life estate just grants him use of the property and no ownership rights and his girlfriend could not get her hands on the house.