RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
8534270

My sister died on7-8-2016, her atty. according to the will

Customer Question

my sister died on7-8-2016, her atty. according to the will her estate is split into 16 shares and I'm the beneficiary of 2 shares. The atty says that he will save have the taxes paid within 60 days of her death to save the 5%, how can I find the value of my 2 shares?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you tonight.

You would look at the inventory here it will have the total value of the assets that she owned at time of death.You would know that you would divide this 16 shares here and you would own an either, the two shares.This should give you a ballpark figure of what you are going to inherit .It has to be filed usually within 90 days or so of opening probate.It lists all the assets here so you know what they are and roughly what they are worth.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

You can ask the lawyer for a copy of the inventory, he has to have some idea of what she was worth at time of death.

Thanks again.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
what ???
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
what inventory? I knew that the total would be divided by 16... what I don't know is what the total is and that is what I was asking you.
You charged me $46.00 for to tell me to divide by 16?

No the law requires the lawyer here to file an inventory and send you a copy and file it with the court.

The executor and lawyer have to swear to it and the probate court approves it.He has to do this quickly within 90 days of opening probate.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
somehow you think that you have been of benefit?

It lists all estate assets owned by the deceased here.The will have account numbers or descriptions and the valuation of them as well.

I am trying to help you understand the process.That way you know what the assets are and what your share would be.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I can't believe that I have been had in this fashion

What state did your sister decease here?

I am trying to help you today and give you the law and information you want.I will answer any follow up you have here.I want you to receive answers here and help you..

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the process is not and was not my question, I was very direct in my question and you were adamant that you could answer. I wasnot looking for an education o how the law works
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
just return my money

No problem, I will opt out here and leave this for other experts.Please don't rate you have not been charged.I will have customer service help you.Have a great evening.