Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate

I have a POA question. I have Financial and Healthcare POA

Customer Question

Hello. My name is Kathy. I have a POA question.
I have Financial and Healthcare POA for my mother who has been legally diagnosed with dementia. I have decided to turn the Financial POA over to my sister. We do have an attorney that will handle the transaction. My question is, do the signatures on the new POA have to be witnessed and notarized in person? We live in Illinois. Thank you!
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

I am afraid that you may run into trouble with this if it is questioned because only the grantor of the POA can extend it or transfer it to someone else. But if mother has not been declared medically or legally incompetent by her doctors or a probate judge, then this is no problem..

But yes, mother would have to sign the new POA in front of a notary with then acknowledging the signature.