Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters

My father passed away 12/30/15 in Arizona without neither a

Customer Question

My father passed away 12/30/15 in Arizona without neither a trust or will.
He remarried in 1996. He & his wife have been estranged for about 10-12 years. Neither joint accounts nor titled property exist. Father had no assets but did have one personal loan at the time of his death. He had numerous broken down vehicles & two vehicles that need repairs in order to sell for a small profit. My sister would like one of the older cars for sentimental reasons.
I would like to file to be Executor in order to dispose of his numerous abandoned vehicles left on friends' property & bring this phase to a close.
The estranged wife & I spoke at the time of his passing & she said she wanted no belongings & would sign any paperwork needed to dispose of his belongings. However, none of us were aware of the personal loan.
I believe she would not discharge her interest, & rightly so, with knowledge of the loan which would be disclosed along with his assets/broken down vehicles.
What can be done to bring this phase to a close and be able to dispose of the vehicles with the existence of a wife who has no interest. Can the bank hold her responsible for the personal loan?
Your assistant editor would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for your loss...can you tell me, was the loan taken out during the marriage? How much is owed on the loan?