Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
19305272

My father died a year and a half ago. He had a living trust.

Customer Question

My father died a year and a half ago. He had a living trust. My husband and I wee preparing our paperwork for filing for bankruptcy. My executor brother has done nothing- I don't even think he has paid taxes. Meanwhile I am being told that I owe our creditors any share in the inheritance. This makes sense to me.
However my brother says that there is no time limit on trust and he doesn't wish to disburse anything. I advised him that I thought that the bankruptcy court could seize my Dad's assets and sell them for whatever paltry sum they might get. He says they can't. This puts me in the middle of a family mess. ("Don't you dare touch my inheritance!" from another sibling) So of course I sit and do nothing. Can you please advise me how my bankruptcy will affect this trust?
Thanks you in advance
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome! My name is Maverick. Please give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Judy:

I think that you may benefit from a phone call on this for just $12.00 more. I will send you an offer of services. If you accept that, then just come back here and type in your phone number. I will contact you before 4 pm today so we can help you get a solution to this problem. Please know that Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service. Also, please make sure that your phone is able to accept my call as I have my caller-id function turned off and sometimes people block such calls on their cell phone. Look forward to working with you...