Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters

I have a life estate on 200 acres and my home on a 7 acre

Customer Question

I have a life estate on 200 acres and my home on a 7 acre parcel. I'm 75 with health issues and need some money for health care. So I had asked my kids to deed back the 7 acres so I could see about a reverse mortgage or sell some for me and they have refused. What can I do to get my life estate value out of the property?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Washington
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I was born and raised on this property and like my dad I deeded the property to my sons because of inheritance tax but with the understanding if I needed help I would have it. I never figured they would do this. If I can't get any money from the property I'll have to go on state assistance.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

Was there any type of written agreement that they would deed it back if necessary?

Any documentation about this if it was an oral contract?

How long ago did you deed the property over to them and reserve the life estate?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.