Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
19305272

I have a life estate on 200 acres and my home on a 7 acre

Customer Question

I have a life estate on 200 acres and my home on a 7 acre parcel. I'm 75 with health issues and need some money for health care. So I had asked my kids to deed back the 7 acres so I could see about a reverse mortgage or sell some for me and they have refused. What can I do to get my life estate value out of the property?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Washington
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I was born and raised on this property and like my dad I deeded the property to my sons because of inheritance tax but with the understanding if I needed help I would have it. I never figured they would do this. If I can't get any money from the property I'll have to go on state assistance.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Was there any type of written agreement that they would deed it back if necessary?

.

Any documentation about this if it was an oral contract?

.

How long ago did you deed the property over to them and reserve the life estate?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.