KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

Morning, the estate agent responsible for managing the

Customer Question

Morning, the estate agent responsible for managing the property wants to come and do an inspection which is totally fine and they do that regularly - this time though they want to come in and take photographs of the property. I told them I was not comfortable with my belongings being photographed to which they said they usually ask tenants to pack these. I have quite a few things in the apartment and I have no intention to pack anything and unpack them afterwards. Are they in the right to do this and ask me to pack my things if I'm uncomfortable ? I don't feel this is being able to enjoy the flat freely.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 10 months ago.
Good morning. I am working on your question.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 10 months ago.

Under the law they can do an inspection, but you do not have to allow them to take photographs of the unit. You should instruct them that under the lease they are allowed reasonable access upon prior notice, but they are under no circumstances permitted to photograph either you or your household belongings. Check your lease to see if there are any provision in the lease which would allow them unrestricted access, but I doubt it, because such provisions are never in a lease.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
thank you - I have always allowed them to come to the flat and inspect so that's never been a problem.They have however said I can pack my belongings if I was uncomfortable with them taking the pictures. Is this reasonable of them to ask?
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 10 months ago.

yes, that is an unreasonable request, and you don't have to allow them access to photograph, and you definitely do not have to put you belongings away under your lease agreement.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 10 months ago.

Any other questions, just ask. If not please rate the question for credit and tracking, or I will not get paid for helping you.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 10 months ago.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 10 months ago.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 10 months ago.
If you have any additional questions please ask. If not, then please rate the question for credit and tracking. If you do not rate the question I will not get paid.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 10 months ago.