RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

What is required to obtain a durable power of attornet

Customer Question

Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

They're very easy to obtain, actually. A person who is mentally competent need only name within the Power of Attorney who they want to act as their "attorney in fact", or agent. It is also a good idea to name an alternate, in case the first person becomes unwillingly or unable to serve in the future.

While laws might vary slightly from state to state, generally, the Power of Attorney needs to be signed in front of two witnesses and notarized, and is valid from signing until revoked by the principal (the person signing). You can find forms online on sites such as or

If you need clarification about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can you send me the form?

Sorry for the delay, as I was assisting another customer.

Here is the link in Rocket Lawyer. Here is legal zoom. The forms usually do have a slight cost to them, but they are often less then what a lawyer would charge you in their office to draft them, and they come with instructions on how to have them properly signed.

If there's anything else I can clarify for you or add to my answer, please reply and let me know. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars, so that I am credited for my time and assistance. Thank you!