Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Estate Law Expert

My 5 siblings and I were named as joint heirs in brothers

Customer Question

My 5 siblings and I were named as joint heirs in brothers will. He died. Estate was set up. So much fighting. I do not want to be a part of it, can I remove my name as part of the estate. I don't want anything of his.
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: North Dakota
JA: Has anything been filed in civil court? And what documents do you have to help resolve this?
Customer: Yes, we have a lawyer, We agreed on one sister to be PR. I don't want to inherit nor be a part of this but he wrote his will that each shares equally when we sell his home, property, etc. I don't want it.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Yes, you can have your lawyer draft a waiver of interest in the estate. That will remove you from any inheritance that you would otherwise receive. Other than the right to inherit anything else, such as being executor, would require that you file an affirmative pleading so if you have a lawyer draft the waiver of interest and then just don't file any other document then you won't be involved in any other part.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.