Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Estate Law Expert

My friend filed a small estate affidavit and now she found a

Customer Question

Greetings! My friend filed a small estate affidavit and now she found a will. What can she do to make that claim to become invalid? thank you
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Has the work on the small estate affidavit been completed yet?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the court has also approved it.

Is there anything that will be different under the will than the small estate?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the will stated everything to the wife. the small affidavit has a child from previous marriage.
1) according to the will, she is entitle to get everything
2) small estate affidavit- the wife has to share his separate property to his daugher.

She will have to file an Application for Probate and to Void Small Estate Proceeding. She will likely want to use a lawyer if she didn't use one the first time because this is going to create issues with the title to any property that is involved and the eventual order that will be issued will have to resolve all of those problems.

In addition, if the child from the previous marriage is under 18 then the court will likely require, under these circumstances, that an attorney ad litem be appointed to represent the child. The ad litem will then be watching over her shoulder all the time and this can run the fees up quickly. The ad litem may also ask that the court order her to pay all of their fees rather than them being paid by the estate.

However, when it is all over with then the orders should take care of any problems created by the small estate proceeding.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thank you! can his daughter sign some sort of interest waiver? if so, do you know any form? thank you so much

How old is the daughter?