CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I have a question about my parents house. Both of my parents

Customer Question

My name is***** have a question about my parents house. Both of my parents are deceased. They did not have a will. There are 5 of us siblings. All 5 are grown and have families of our own. 3 of the siblings are now deceased. What happens to their part of the house?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 4 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

I am sorry to learn of your loss.

If individual(s) die without having a will or a trust, they are deemed to have died "intestate" and the state's intestate succession laws will determine how the interests in the estate are determined. Each of your parent's estates will need to be distributed through probate (as will each of your deceased sibling's estates) in order of their death.

This can get a little bit complicated, and I would recommend retaining a lawyer to help (you will need a probate attorney (this is a trusts and estates attorney that works with the courts)).

The Texas intestate succession statute is explained here: http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/intestate-succession-texas.html