Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.
17897874

My mom died May 2015. Her lawyer was is the executor. Estate

Customer Question

My mom died May 2015. Her lawyer was is the executor. Estate was about $300,00 most coming from the sale of real estate. Monies were disbursed over the course of a year and after the final disbursement we find 1 bank account and 1 investment are still open and have balances. Is this normal or should we seek council.
Thanks,
Dennis
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Did these accounts have named beneficiaries or were they part of the probate estate?

Are there any pending claims against the estate?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Part of the estate. No claims pending

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

There is no reason those should not be have been disbursed with the rest of the estate. Contact the executor and ask what the delay is and when you can expect those assets distributed and the estate closed. It could be an oversight.

If the executor has abandoned the estate then you will need to get your own attorney and seek a removal of the current executor and replacement appointed to close out the estate.

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (5 stars) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.