Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Fully licensed attorney in Texas in private practice.

I'm getting a divorce, my husband bought the house with his

Customer Question

I'm getting a divorce, my husband bought the house with his inheritance in 2013, we are divorcing now 7/2016. what rights do i have to the house.
He closed the trust/estate account and but all the money into his personal account, do i have a right to the money.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation.

If your name is ***** ***** title, then even if he purchased the property with inherited money, the home would be considered community property.

If your name is ***** ***** the title, then since he purchased the property with inherited money, it would be considered separate property and would go to him if he can prove by clear evidence that only his inheritance was used in the purchase. This is called "transmutation." However even then, you have the right to demand equitable pay back for any joint marital funds used to better/pay for the property later on.

The inheritance money - you do not have a right to it unless it was placed into a joint account, because inheritance and anything that can be traced to it is separate property.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!