Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.
17027240

A person is listed as the Beneficiary on Annuities and Life

Customer Question

A person is listed as the Beneficiary on Annuities and Life Insurance accounts! Can the person file the "claim" to be paid? Or does it still have to go thru Probate? After my uncle's death I am finding diff. accounts that are not listed on the Estate report! I am not able to get any onfo from the Trustee handling the Estate!
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Good morning Albert. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.

Yes, you can o this directly. Certain assets pass outside probate and thus are not governed by the will and thus do not require probate. These include the following: i) joint brokerage and bank accounts which vest automatically in the surviving owner upon the death of one owner; ii) real property held as joint tenants or tenants by the entirety, which also vest automatically in the surviving owner upon the death of one owner; and iii) assets with designated beneficiaries other than the estate such as life insurance and retirement accounts. The accounts you reference fall within the foregoing type assets and thus do not require probate.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!