Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 yrs of professional experience.
16823287

It is for my cousin, I am trying to help her. Brady is my

Customer Question

it is for my cousin, I am trying to help her. James Brady is my first cousin last week. His daughter is Lucy. He died in his apartment in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. She found the body. He was cremated. The body was released to his brother and buried in family plot in Vermont
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: The problem is Police will not acknowledge her as his child and will not allow her access to his apartment. Parents were not married and his name was not on the birth certificate. He was 65, a veteran, and retired from a Union Job. They saw each other on a regular basis.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

Welcome! My name is Maverick. Please give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

She will need to file a petition to establish paternity with a court in the county where he lived. This can be done even though he has passed away. She can ask for a DNA test and call witnesses to testify that they know her to be his daughter. The court will then sign an order that says that she is his daughter and that the vital records need to reflect the same. She can then use that order to get access.