J. Warren
J. Warren, Attorney
Experience:  Experience in estate planning including wills, trusts and succession planning.
64316804

My ex is due to inherit from his parents (mom deceased, dad

Customer Question

My ex is due to inherit from his parents (mom deceased, dad still alive) will state he will inherit and if not living then his daughter (my daughter). My other 2 daughters wants a 1/3 of the inheritance. They were never adopted by him. Needless to say, the family is splitting. Can he write up a will indicating future money, assets will be distributed (I don't know how? just can he write a will based on future inheritance?
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: This is my ex. I've tried to help out with things, but have been told none of my business. Except this subject has really caused a family breakup. And there is no money yet. Just the rental property (there is other assests)
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No. His daughter (and mine) is mentioned in the original will while the other 2 or not.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Unfortunately, unless these children are biological children or adopted of your ex spouse they are not entitled to any portion of the estate of his parents. He is free to do with the estate he inherits as he wishes if he is to survive his parents. But nothing can be done legally to compel anything be inherited. As I said if your husband survives he is able to create his own will and direct his estate to be divided 3 ways but he is under no legal obligation to do so.

All my best and encouragement. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I realize this was not the answer you were hoping to receive however I have done my best to provide information which truthfully addresses your question. Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 4 months ago.
Hello

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or rated positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!