Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.

My grandmother died in the State of Georgia without a Will.

Customer Question

my grandmother died in the State of Georgia without a Will. There are some surviving children but we don't know what process. Please help us.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licnesed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you. My condolences for your loss.

Did she leave assets in her name? Is her estate solvent?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
her house is in her name solely I had her property searched by an attorney
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just gave my updated credit card number and expiration date under attorney Dimitry K Esquire
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

The probate process is fairly straightforward. If there is no will then the estate is called "intestate".

You would go to the probate court for the county where your grandmother was domiciled when she died. They will have the form petition to open probate for an intestate estate.

Any interested party may file to open the estate. Once you file the petition the court will appoint a representative and the representative will start marshaling the assets and providing notice to creditors.

The intestate estate will be divided between the children of the grandmother and their descendants after the creditors' claims are resolved.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

It is strongly advised that you retain local probate counsel to help you through the process. If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys) . Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are all peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Are you still online with me?

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (5 stars) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.