RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law

My husbands father died in June 2015. We know nothing about

Customer Question

My husbands father died in June 2015. We know nothing about his last will and testament. We assume he probably bequeath all property, etc. to his wife (stepmother) The stepmother signed a codicil to her will and testament Feb. 2015. She left my husband out of her codicil intentionally. She died in April 2016.
Her original will and testament was dated April 1980. All we see is the first page of her will and testament. The second page is the codicil. Is that a legal document since there is no signature on the will dated April 1980.
Are we really left out of everything? Please advise. Patty
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 2 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA Ray here to help you tonight.

Here you can check the county clerk where they deceased if you are wanting copies of the two wills.If they have been filed for probate they are public record here.Check fathers to see if he left your husband anything.That would determine what his rights are.It controls the disposition of father's assets.

Your husband here would have rights to contest the will if he felt father lacked capacity or there was undue influence.He will need a lawyer to file a will contest in Kansas where the probate was filed.You may still have rights here, you would want to gather the complete wills and any probate documents and discuss this locally with a lawyer if you want to contest the wills and codicils.

You have rights here to contest the wills/codicils under Kansas law.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight and wish you the best.

If you can rate 5 stars it is much appreciated, thanks again.