Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws

I have a question about getting a cause of death changed on

Customer Question

Hi, I have a question about getting a cause of death changed on a death certificate. More details to follow...
Category: Estate Law
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The cause of death on the death certificate does not match with the police report.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
In order to amend cause of death, the only one who can do so is the coroner's office who issued the death certificate in CA. So if there is an issue with the cause of death, you need to contact the coroner's office where the person died and you need to file an appeal requesting them to correct the cause of death and provide them proof of the real cause of death. However, just because the police department lists one cause of death does not mean that when the body is examined a different cause of death is not determined, because the police are not doctors or medical examiners.
The coroner though is the only one who can change cause of death.