Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My wifes mother has been placed in nursing home for

Customer Question

My wifes mother has been placed in nursing home for alcoholism. She is the only remaining child. Does the wife assume responsibility of the mothers home and property in North Carolina? This is a issue in regards ***** ***** property matters and if the home in N.C. should be listed as a asset.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 4 months ago.

No. The property is not a marital asset. If the daughter inherits the property after her mother's passing, the property would be considered her separate property and not a marital property. Also and more importantly, the mother is still alive and still the owner of the property.

Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.