RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney
Experience:  Texas lawyer for 30 years in Estate law
8534270

Fl NY Soc Security, becoming Rep Payee and open new account

Customer Question

Fl NY Soc Security, becoming Rep Payee and open new account or keep the same; Sibling who was caring for her elderly parents and originally made POA in 2010 but has relapsed and hospitalised with substance abuse issues. Another sibling who has taken over the care of their elderly parents, was told by two attorneys to become the Rep Payee for their SS income. Does a seperate bank account get created while an accounting analysis is done to determine any missuse of the parents funds by substance abuse dependant sibling who was previous caregiver? Start fresh with a new account in the mothers name first or the Rep Payee which would be another sibling. Does the parent need to be present if there is a new poa but no revokation form has ever been sent ... Or keep in the same account which could be tapped into by the other sibling. Living in Fl over a year but resides in NY
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 10 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

You would set up new account in her name and yours as a co signer.The social security folks would direct deposit once you set up account, change payee , and it will go there.

You can use this number to do this.

You can call us toll-free at 1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****)

I think given the problems here a new account helps keep the other issues separate here.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Does the parent need to be present? And does the account need to be set up first BEFORE notifying SS. Would it be best to go in person with the parent and can the original POA dispute this being that I have documentation validating their convalescence by their spouse and SS can call the rehab place to verify as well if there is every an issue.

You will need the parent to go with you to social security in person.I would set up the account with minimal amount and have it ready to give to them to change direct deposit too.She has right to chance this in person, she can also revoke the POA.

Revocation of POA form you may record this in county where she is at and then send copy to social security for their files.

http://www.wakullaclerk.com/docs/RevocationPOA.pdf

Thanks again and good luck here with all.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can this be done without a POA
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
CAn the account be open without the parent if they are sometimes confused with these places and get agitated?

You can get the application to open and have her sign it and take it back to bank.They may want to see her here.She could sign a new POA for you here.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The agent asked if there was a payee already and I said no. My siblings spouse screens her calls so I have stopped calling and don't even know if my sibling already is the Rep Payee.
If my sibling was a payee already, would the ss agent have told me?
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 9 months ago.

She should have told you if this was the case.See if they will not let you become th e payee here.

I wish you the best.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I already went with my parent and applied. The SS agent took my id and my parent so I'm assuming if there was already a rep payee that the agent would have seen this on the computer right? They would not have continued to process me as payee?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Also, how long can I speak if I call by phone for the $59 fee?

Yes thats correct they would have told you, and mother here can change her payee anyway so it should not be a problem.

I can do unlimited chat, not set up for calls. will send you an offer here.