Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws

Mother if my son refuses to allow me to see my son, I 't

Customer Question

Mother if my son refuses to allow me to see my son, I don't have alot of money and she has made suicidal statements in the past. I have a serious concern about my son's safety. How do I file for a emergency 72 hour medical mental health evaluation in the state of Washington
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
In order to obtain an emergency mental health commitment, you would need to prove currently she is a potential danger to herself or others. Suicidal statements in the past would not be sufficient, she needs to be currently making them and if you make a claim to get a commitment based on false information just to use that to see your child then you could actually be charged with a criminal offense, so be careful and you need to have the evidence that she is a PRESENT potential danger to herself or others and not based on past information.
You would need to notify the police of the present danger to herself or others and they would have to bring her to a mental health professional locally who can order the 72 hour hold or you would need to call your local mental health center to explain the situation to them and ask them to issue the 72 hour hold and they will send the police to get her and bring her in. They will both require some evidence of her danger to herself or others and will not just issue the hold because you say so.