Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.

I have been named executor in my late Mother's Will. I am

Customer Question

I have been named executor in my late Mother's Will. I am told I need to provide proof of executorship to the bank that holds the reverse mortgage on her house. Is a copy of the will enough to prove this?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New York
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you. My condolences for your loss.

No, unless the bank has told you otherwise, they are going to want to see that you have filed a petition to open probate in surrogate court and been issued letters testamentary to make you the executor. The will is just the expression that the testator wants you as executor. Only the court can make the appointment and give you the authority over the estate.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

here is a link to the forms you need:

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question. Thanks.