Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 yrs of professional experience.

I have a question about my nephew brought to the US and left

Customer Question

I have a question about my nephew brought to the US and left with grandma by my sister in law
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is Maverick. (Here) is my profile. Please give me a few minutes to review, analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

*Can you please give us more background information so we can better assist you?

*Can you please state your specific legal question so we know what type of answer you are looking for?

*What have you tried on this front so far?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My sister in law is a US citizen and she brought the oldest child to Masachusettes and left the child with her mother while she went back to India to work. My brother is in India now with his younger son who is 4. The older boy is now in MA and he is 6 living with his grandma: she recently lied to the police when I sent them on a welfare check and said that her daughter is coming back in a week and is employed in the US which is not true. All are US citizens in this case. I live in Las Vegas and am concerned for the child and want him back in India with his brother and father: is there a chance that the police will not like it that she lied to them when the mother does not return and will she then have to give the child back.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My sister in law brought the child on vacation and left him here.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for the clarification. I did not want to send you an offer of additional services for a phone call on this as it would have costed you more money when I can answer your question here in writing. Basically, since your brother and sister in law are still married and there is no court order of custody, then both parents have physical custody. It is not a crime for the other parent to leave the home with the child under these circumstance. So possession of the child is what controls the situation here. Once the police find this information out, they will tell you this is a civil matter and step off the case; unless there is proof of abuse or neglect.

Note: Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours. If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me. Thank you.