Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters

My father passed away in January of 2015 - my 2 oldest

Customer Question

Hi my father passed away in January of 2015 - my 2 oldest brother are the executors - my dad had a house and a gic and a little bit of money in the bank. My brothers held an "auction" of my fathers belongings in February 2015. After that there was no communication with me regarding my fathers estate until October 21, 2015 wherein my brother called me at work and told me that he had reported me to revenue canada for monies that my other brother (power of attorney) had given me for looking after my brother (a family meeting was held prior to my fathers death and I was offered $10 an hour to quit my job and watch my father and was told that it would be a gift from my father) - during that conversation I asked my brother about my dads house - I was told that it was sold sometime in June of 2015 and was not given an information regarding the sale and when i asked why I was not informed I was told that he doesn't have to tell me every little detail. After that there was correspondence between me and brother regarding his action of reporting me to revenue canada, but nothing was told to me about the dealings of the estate other than the fact that they have hired 3 different lawyers. In January my brother showed up at my work with something for my sister (1 of us 3 that watched my dad) as they refuse to talk to her to and at that time I asked him about the estate and he told me that it should be finalized in 2018 - when I asked why I was told that he is busy. As I have 8 brothers and sisters the 3 that watched my father have been given no information whatsoever as to what is going on I decided to contact the lawyer directly and was told that he was no longer retained by my brothers. I contacted my brother around March and asked again what was going on but was told nothing other than he was not going to use a lawyer and he was going to do everything himself. In April I received a letter asking if I think they should pay my sister money they owe her or not to pay her and there would be more money in the inheritance. A few weeks ago, another sister told me that my brother invested the house money and locked it into a gic for 3 years and the estate would not be done until 2018. These executors are in tight with my other brothers and sisters and tell them alot but the 3 that looked after my father they have a hatred for and we have been left out in the dark..I need to know what the law and what can I do and can they carry this on for another 2 years and what my steps should be.Alanna
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.