TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA

I am involved in a civil case. My mother died in March. She

Customer Question

I am involved in a civil case. My mother died in March. She owned a sole member LLC. Her former employee had clients writing checks in her name 5 days after her death. As next of kin, I asked the employee to step away for a few days while I sorted through my mother's affairs. Lots of things happened with this woman in a short period of time. My brothers and I decided to close the business. In doing so, we shredded all client files. The business was an accounting and Tax firm. She is suing me for computer, lost wages, and client files. I asked her to provide receipts she provided a false receipt. Today, the judge continued the case so we could have a 2 hour trial. He mentioned the pretrial motion must be done. What can I do?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Q: What can I do?

A: That's a rather broad question, and I don't know enough facts to even guess as to whether the employee has a viable case against you. But my suggestion is that you retain an attorney to review the situation, and file a Demurrer, or Motion for Summary Judgment. Certainly you should have an attorney if this case does actually make it to trial. The attorney should be hired ASAP since there are time limits as to when certainly Motions and Pleadings can be filed. Moreover, you will want the attorney to make discovery requests. The bot***** *****ne is that the longer you wait, the more likely there will be a trial, and the riskier the situation becomes. It's possible that a case that could have been dismissed will be ruled in the employee's favor. So time is of the essence.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!