Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  30+ yrs. handling probate estate, wills, trust, inheritance & real estate related matters
18215332

My Brother died in Massachusetts, my sister is

Customer Question

Hi, my Brother died in Massachusetts, my sister is executor/personal representative. He had a will , but he also made some handwritten changes to it. SO I am being told that it has to go thru informal probate to assert that Sister is executor/PR and the will can processed. I am the only other in line relative. I am being asked to sign an mpc455 form to assent the waiver of notice of informal probate, form mpc550. I asked if I was in the will or what changes were made and sister says a lawyer said not to discuss it with anyone. So my question is do I have a right to see the will, form 550 seems to indicate that.
If I sign the waiver, is the will taken as presented, or is it just to formalize her as Executor/pr. thanks
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 7 months ago.

Both forms appear to be your consent to open the estate in either an informal probate proceeding or otherwise, and to appoint the personal representative or executor named in the will. Neither form appears to have anything to do with the submission or validation of the will itself. The refusal to send you a copy of the will as written, raises the hackles on the back of my neck. If there is a great deal of money involved in your brother's estate, then I suggest that you immediately hire a Massachusetts probate specialist to review this situation , especially the handwritten changes on the will itself, and advise you from this point on.

Please be so kind as to promptly rate this answer favorably so that I may be compensated and the question may be closed in the system. There is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.

Hello again. Do you have a follow-up question? I am not an employee of Just Answer and I receive credit for assisting you based on your rating. Please be so kind as to promptly rate this answer favorably so that I may be compensated and the question may be closed in the system. There is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.