Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience in the practice of estate law.

My father died and only had a basic will. With the exception

Customer Question

my father died and only had a basic will. With the exception of some personnel items, many of his personnel posessions went to a small museum for display. since that time his widow has remarrried. is there any presedence that would allow me to challange any possession rights she may have over those items. As his son and only male heir I believe that the items in question should have inherited to me, which was my fathers wise but not in the will and his widow and I do not share any common ground as far as this matter is concerned.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you. My condolences for your loss.

Has the will been admitted to probate? Are there any grounds to challenge its execution or legal compliance?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
unfortenutly it has been three years. I requested a copy of the will and i believe i still have it. my fathers widow is a very unfriendly person and is almost impossible to deal with because her knowledge is based mainly on what she has been told or heard.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am at work and will have to leave to go home soon. how can i continue this at home.
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Unfortunately, if the will was admitted 3 yrs ago too much time has passed to challenge it.

The best thing to do is to see if your father's widow can sell you some of the items you would like for their sentimental value. A probate court would not entertain any challenge to the will at this point. That is why seeking a private resolution for the disputed items is the best and only option left.

Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.