Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

My mother has a Revocable Trust, Power of Attorney, and a

Customer Question

My mother has a Revocable Trust, Power of Attorney, and a Will all written in the State of NY. My mother and I are permanent residents in Florida, but my brother, who is co-executor of her will still lives in NY (I have Power of Attorney), do we need to re-do everything here in Florida? And what does that do to my brother since he lives in NY? Also, my Mother needs to change the deed to her house, since my Father passed away 10 years ago. Do we see an Elder Law Attorney or an Estate Attorney or a Family Law Attorney? Thank you for your time.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

do we need to re-do everything here in Florida?

.

No, any legal document properly executed in one state is good in any other state under the Full Faith and Credit Clause of the US Constitution.

.

And what does that do to my brother since he lives in NY?

.

Brother would have to come to FL to administer the estate when the time comes.

.

Also, my Mother needs to change the deed to her house, since my Father passed away 10 years ago. Do we see an Elder Law Attorney or an Estate Attorney or a Family Law Attorney?

.

If she wants to clean up the deed and have father's name removed, she can just contact a local real estate attorney or probate attorney and they can draft a new deed along with filing any necessary documentation, like an Affidavit of Continuous Marriage, with the clerk to remove father's name and update the public records to show her as the only owner.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I cannot access my answer!

I apologize for any technical issues... I will copy and paste it again..

.

do we need to re-do everything here in Florida?.No, any legal document properly executed in one state is good in any other state under the Full Faith and Credit Clause of the US Constitution..And what does that do to my brother since he lives in NY?.Brother would have to come to FL to administer the estate when the time comes..Also, my Mother needs to change the deed to her house, since my Father passed away 10 years ago. Do we see an Elder Law Attorney or an Estate Attorney or a Family Law Attorney?.If she wants to clean up the deed and have father's name removed, she can just contact a local real estate attorney or probate attorney and they can draft a new deed along with filing any necessary documentation, like an Affidavit of Continuous Marriage, with the clerk to remove father's name and update the public records to show her as the only owner...thanksBarrister

Hello again. Were you able to see my answer the second time i posted it?

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with today?

.

.

thanks