Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in Trust and Succession Law, including Louisiana Laws
10285032

My mother is elderly and I may need to move in with her to

Customer Question

My mother is elderly and I may need to move in with her to care for her part time. If I do that I would need to rent out my condo or sell it. If I rent it then I will lose tax benefits of primary residence. If I live with my mother and care for her part time would that qualify her a as a dependent?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you provide more than 50% of her monetary support then she would qualify as your dependent. Just because you are moving in with her to care for her does not mean she is a dependent, you have to actually provide actual monetary support for her to qualify her as a dependent.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If I didn't live with her she would have to hire help to be with her at least eight hours a day. Could this not be considered part of my monetary support?

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, no that cannot be considered part of your support, because you can still do work even though you may be there 8 hours a day to assist her according to the way the IRS thinks.