Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
19305272

Can an irrevocable special needs trust be changed to secure

Customer Question

Can an irrevocable special needs trust be changed to secure a reverse mortgage which would allow my brother to remain in his deceased father's house where he has lived since his father's death 5 years ago and for the past 20+ years. When started, after my fathers death, the special needs trust for my brother included approximately $25,000 and my deceased father's house.
The trust only has about $2,000 left which means my brother would have to leave this home which he has lived in for the past 25 years. I am the trustee of this trust and am frantic at the prospect that my brother may have to vacate this house. He has a mental disability and I'm afraid that this may cause a mental breakdown which had occurred many years ago.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) Most questions are answered within the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers.

1. Who created the trust and is that person still alive?

2. What do the terms of the trust say about terminating or amending the trust?