Richard, Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience practicing law, including tax and estate planning.

How can you find out what was in a estate?? Can you request

Customer Question

how can you find out what was in a estate?? Can you request a copy of the will or estate of a love one?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

Hi My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 3 months ago.

If you are a beneficiary of the will, then you do have the right to be provided a full inventory of the decedent's probate assets. The first key is whether or not the decedent actually had a will. If so, the person named as executor must file the will for probate with the probate court of the county in which the decedent resided at the time of death. The will becomes public record and you can contact the court clerk to find the particular court's process for obtaining a copy. If there was no will, then the decedent is deemed to have died intestate and the CA intestate succession laws will apply. If there was a will, the generally needs to be filed within 30 days of the date of death. If no one produces a will to the probate court, you can file your own petition with the court asking the court that the decedent be deemed to have died intestate and that the state's intestate succession rules govern the probate estate. And, if you are a blood relative, you would possibly be in the chain of people entitled to inherit and if so would be entitled to know the assets of the estate. You can find the priority of inheritance under the CA intestate laws at this link:

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!