Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.

I am a resident of Maryland. I was in a very close personal

Customer Question

I am a resident of Maryland. I was in a very close personal relationship of 10 years with a man who was a resident of Maryland. We have lived together for the past three years in his home in Maryland. He was diagnosed as having bone marrow cancer in the last four months while seriously ill in the hospital.
He has no children. He did not leave a will.
Most of his family lives out of state with the exception of a niece and a nephew.
I have shared my life with this man for ten years and lived with him in his home for the last three years while his health progressively deteriorated from what we initially thought was due to a need for a hip replacement.
I loved and cared for him (cooked, cleaned, served as his intimate partner as well as business partner in his small business as well as provided personal care for him on a daily basis.
He passed about a month ago while in the hospital where I spent numerous hours day and night by his side when not working. I loved him very much.
His nephew is preparing to become the executor of his estate. He also assumed the role of Power of Attorney while ill in the hospital over the last few months.
Now that my man has passed quite sudden to our surprise, I am in mourning and being approached by the nephew to vacate the premises ASAP. I feel that I am being pushed out and the nephew is not following the wishes of his deceased uncle.
He wanted me to continue his small business and have one of his vehicles for business transportation.
I am concerned that I have adequate time to relocate at this time, I am not looking to get or take his personal possessions from the family, just that they have some compassion and be more considerate of me, his companion for 10 years. I am battling my own health issues and a lack of full employment at this time. I am asking for time (3 months to get on my feet and move out of the premises.) I am not looking to be pushed out and homeless.
Your advice would be greatly appreciated.
Please help!
Avoiding Homelessness
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 3 months ago.

You have tenancy rights. You cannot be forced out.

Practically, an eviction takes months. Therefore, what normally happens is both sides agree on a mutual date. Sometimes moving expenses are also covered. No self help may be used. If an eviction is filed, the court will normally arrange for a mutually agreed date - but as mentioned - process can take months.

I trust that gives you some peace of mind.

Kindly rate my answer as excellent.

tried to expedite for you.

thank you in advance.