Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs estate law, real estate. Wills/Trusts/Probate
19958803

I live in New York, and I had put my fathers house in my

Customer Question

I live in New York, and I had put my fathers house in my name years ago, but the property tax was still in his name, he past away two years ago, and I pay the taxes on time, but it still comes in his name just like many other thing I did not get around to, what can happen if they find out?, and I think I am going to move and sell the house in a couple of years anyway.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Were you listed on the deed as a "joint owner" or were you "tenants in common " on the deed?.

.

Was he receiving any type of discount on the property taxes?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
don't know, maybe he was getting a senior discount
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I think mine and my sisters name is ***** ***** deed

Ok, this is getting a little more confusing because now you are adding a sister to the deed....

.

When father owned the property solely, and then he transferred it, who did he transfer it to...you, sister, and himself?

.

If so, and he was getting some type of discount on the taxes, then when he died, that discount should have stopped. So if you are still getting it, if they find out he is deceased, then they will have the right to demand repayment of any improperly received discount from the date of father's death.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
One more question on order #164790-90 just want to know if I can be arrested or have to pay a fine?

I am not sure what " order #164790-90 " is so you would have to give me some context about what it is and what it relates to..

.

But if it is a civil order for money or some type of order to pay back taxes, then no, it is not an arrestable citation and they would just summons you to court if it remains unpaid.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for all your advice, you have answered all my questions, you have been a big help, I will keep you in mind for any future advise.

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time..

.

If you feel your original question and any related follow ups have been answered, I would very much appreciate a positive rating on the answer I have provided so I receive credit for my work. If you have a new question the JustAnswer folks require that you start a new question page, but you can request me by putting "For Barrister" in the caption and they will get it to me.

.

.

thanks