Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 yrs of professional experience.

My father passed away and my mother is trying to collect s

Customer Question

My father passed away and my mother is trying to collect his social security benefits.unfortunately we just found out the church never filed the marriage license. What does she need to do to prove she is married to NYC?
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) Most questions are answered within the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers.

You can try to seek a court order that declares that they were married based on witness testimony and other supporting evidence that you may have collected over the year. This is the law that applies. Once the court issues an order declaring and finding that they were married as of XYZ date, it may be submitted directly to the SSA or NYC Dept. of Health to issue a certificate. To do this you will need to file a declaratory judgment action. Here is one to use as a go-by.