Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 yrs of professional experience.

My son passed, 52 y/o, 100% VA Disabled, lived with me past

Customer Question

My son passed, 52 y/o, 100% VA Disabled, lived with me past 5 real property. Has 1 handicapped van, checking @ $6000....owes @ $15-20 (t), I am taking responsibility for his arrangements which I have already pre-paid. Can I file under Disposition of Personal Property without Administration to finalize his affairs. He has 1 son who in not in a position to assume these responsibilities and is in full agreement for me make the arrangements necessary. I don't want to file and pay a fee only to lose the fee if I have to made other arrangements for his small assets.
Thank You, ***** (###) ###-####
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) Most questions are answered within the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers.

Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Hello Reva:

This process is available if your son did not leave any real estate [which as you say, he did not] and the only assets in the estate are either exempt from creditor’s claims or do not exceed the total amount of the final expenses. If he has not other assets in his estate that have any equity, then, yes, you can use this Disposition of Personal Property without Administration.

Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

See answer above. I am assuming that his final expenses exceeded the $1,000 exemption he holds in the van under FLA law.