Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation

I am listed as a co-trustee with one other person but I 't

Customer Question

Hi, I'm Greta Shelton. I am listed as a co-trustee with one other person but I don't know what that means to me
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Texas. I was just a friend/caregiver. the other co-trustee is a son
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: somewhat but I still am not sure what I am supposed to do. My friend passed away on Nov. 27, 2014 and his son is just now proceeding with this
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 3 months ago.

I hope this message finds you well. I am a licensed attorney with over a dozen years of experience handling matters of this nature. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

As co-trustee, you have equal rights in the administration of the trust left by the deceased to your other trustee. So, first things first, you need a copy of the trust if you do not already have one. Read it through and make sure you understand what the deceased desired at the time the trust was executed.

Since the deceased's son is the other trustee, the path of least resistance here in my experience is to let him "guide the ship" so to speak as long as he is not running afoul of the mandates within the trust. In short, you keep him in check by being silent but observing. Ask that he keep you in the loop with all trust decisions.

If he is not keeping you in the loop or if he is running afoul of the trust mandates, you can then make a decision as to whether to bring this to a courts attention. Otherwise, you sit and monitor under the circumstances.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively (THREE OR MORE STARS) on the rating bar on your end so I will receive credit for my answer.

Thank you and best wishes going forward!

Did you have any other questions? Thanks

Did you have any additional questions? I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible as you move forward on this issue. Thanks!