Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

My grandfather and my father purchased "family" plots. Both

Customer Question

My grandfather and my father purchased "family" plots. Both are deceased. I took over after my mother died. The cemetery is now saying that our family's spouses can not be buried there, because they are not from a direct blood line. I know the intentions of both were for their kids and spouses to be buried together, otherwise they would not have purchased 12 and 10 plots. They say I have no right to appoint graves to my survivng family, which I want to do since I am in my 80's they say they need written proof that both fathers passed on the name of one to take over. I'm sure neither of them was told that at the time of purchase. What can I do, other than get written notarized names of all descendents from my grandparents 12 kids, all over the USA
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 10 months ago.

For their limitation to have any effect, it needed to have been disclosed and part of the agreement when they purchased the sale. If it is not, they may not block burial of family. This is a rather unreasonable condition, as family generally expands through marriage, adoption etc. They could be threatened with lawsuit for apparent discriminatory practices, which may lead them to reconsider as well.

Kindly click on an excellent rating.