Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney
Experience:  Wills, Trusts, Probate & other Estate Matters
19305272

My sister had two children out of wedlock, my mother adopted

Customer Question

My sister had two children out of wedlock, my mother adopted themy after my father passed away. One adult passed away and so as my mother and birth mother (my sister) and there are no will. Now that the surviving adopted adult (female) and four other surviving siblings from my mother, the adopted child wants to claim my mother's, birth mother's, deceased brother's, and part of our inheritance.
Does she have any rights to do such thing to claim all our properties as part of her shares? Does she have the right to claim our inheritance from my father (and inheritance too from birth) which he did not adopt her while he was alive?
.we are in Guam where the properties are located, which the properties are federal properties returned to legal land owners.
Please help me, for she is becoming very greedy and treated her birth mom like a slave, calls her only to babysit her child when she left the state for her job or to look for her boyfriend in Guam. She treated my mother very evil, demands for money and trips for her family while she was married. Adopted person is now divorced.
Thankyou for your time and help.
Category: Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 5 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. I want to make sure I understand...mom was a resident of Guam at the time she passed and had no will?